These Southwestern Chicken Burrito Bowls are so easy to make! They’re great for a quick and easy weeknight dinner or lunch on the go, and take less than 15 minutes to put together.
Some nights it feels like I can barely get 30 minutes to prep and cook a meal. On nights like that, it’s easy to want to throw in the towel and just order delivery, which is why having a super simple recipe like this in my back pocket is the best.
This recipe is written with the idea in mind that you’ve already made chicken and have some leftover that you want to use. These Southwestern Chicken Burrito Bowls can be made with fresh, roasted chicken OR using leftover chicken. Leftover roasted chicken is so versatile, and easy enough to make every week.
If you’ve never tried that before, you’ve been missing out! Check out my recipe for Quick and Easy Instant Pot Whole Rotisserie Chicken or the The Easiest Mexican Crockpot Shredded Chicken Ever for easily making a big batch of chicken for leftovers all week.
Not a fan of chicken? You can use any protein you have on hand! You can also make this meal a vegetarian or vegan bowl by making a few easy substitutions.
Pro Tip: You can use any veggies you like with these Southwestern Chicken Burrito Bowls! That’s part of the fun of recipes like this. You can also make more of these and store them in Tupperware to easily grab and go for lunch during the week. If you decide to do that, store the dressing separately to keep the veggies fresh.
- 2 cups lettuce (or kale, or spinach), chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (about 1-2 chicken breasts)
- 3/4 cup corn, drained
- 1 1/2 cup black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 cup Mexican rice, cooked
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- drizzle Avocado Lime Dressing or Southwestern Ranch (optional)
- Cook the rice according to the directions. Our family loves to use Vigo Yellow Rice, which you can find at most grocery stores. If you can't, any yellow or "Mexican- style" rice works well for this.
- While the rice is cooking, prep the veggies. If needed, shred the leftover chicken. Mix the paprika, cumin, cayenne and pepper with the shredded chicken and set aside.
- Layer each bowl with the lettuce, rice, tomatoes, shredded chicken, onions, corn, beans, avocado and cheese. Top with a store bought or homemade Avocado Lime Dressing or Southwestern Ranch option and enjoy immediately, or throw in the fridge and enjoy later.
- This is a fantastic recipe to use leftover chicken! Whether it's chicken breasts, rotisserie chicken or even drumsticks, just shred the chicken and you're ready to go.
- You can also substitute other leftover poultry, like turkey, easily into these burrito bowls as well. You could also use ground beef even ground tofu if you want to!
I hope you love these Southwestern Chicken Burrito Bowls! They’re such a great option on days that you’re stretched for time, and are great to also make ahead for meal prep.
Tried this Recipe? Tag me Today! I love seeing what y’all are cooking up.
Mention @simply.siobhan or tag #MimosasAndMotherhood!