I’m loving this Easy Peasy Bacon Tater Tot Casserole as an easy family dinner! With baby brother due any day now we’ve been working to figure out easy, cheap and yummy dishes that we can easily throw while running on empty in those first few weeks as a family of 4.
Confession time: before making this tater tot casserole for our family, I had NEVER had it before! I know, that sounds totally crazy, but somehow I went my entire childhood and adult like without having this yummy, cheesy, potato-y dish. But y’all: it was worth the wait!
Easy Peasy Bacon Tater Tot Casserole is going to quickly become a staple in your family dinner rotation. If you’ve never had tater tot casserole before, it’s exactly what it sounds like: a casserole dish filled with tater tots, mixed with a few other ingredients of your choosing.
It’s an incredibly easy and budget friendly meal, and I’m happy to report is 100% toddler and hubby approved (as they both practically licked their plates).
Tater tot casserole is also a super easy family dinner that is incredibly easy to change up. The frozen potatoes make an easy base that goes with a ton of different ingredients. I’ve also heard from friends with older kids that it’s an easy dish to hide extra veggies in for picky eaters 😉
Related: Southwestern Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 diced yellow or white onion
- 1 16 oz container of light sour cream
- 1 10 oz can of cream of chicken or mushroom soup
- 32 oz package of frozen tater tots
- 2 cups shredded cheese (we used mild cheddar)
- 1 cup chopped cooked bacon
- 1 cup cooked chopped spinach
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning
- 1 packet dry Ranch dressing mix
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown the ground beef/turkey, adding the garlic powder, creole seasoning and onions to the pan while cooking. Drain the fat and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the soup, sour cream, ranch seasoning packet, cooked spinach, 1 cup of shredded cheese and bacon. Add the cooked meat and onions to the sour cream mixture.
- Fold in the frozen tater tots, being sure to thoroughly mix to make sure the tater tots are covered.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 casserole dish and top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Cook for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove the foil and cook for another 5 minutes to be sure the cheese on top is melty.
- Easy Peasy Bacon Tater Tot Casserole is best enjoyed hot! (Note: If you’re serving to little ones be sure you let cool after scooping out, as the sour cream gets very hot and bubbly.
Feel free to substitute casserole ingredients! If your family is vegetarian, try adding extra veggies. If you love extra meat, this casserole is great with crumbling ground beef, chopped chicken and shredded pork as well.
The inside can be surprisingly hot when it comes out of the oven, so remember to let it cool after scooping, especially if you're serving to kids.
This bacon tater tot casserole goes great with a side of ranch, ketchup or sour cream!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 520Total Fat: 33gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 1280mgCarbohydrates: 34gProtein: 21g
Easy Peasy Bacon Tater Tot Casserole is best enjoyed hot! (Note: If you’re serving to little ones be sure you let cool after scooping out, as the sour cream gets very hot and bubbly.
Tried this recipe? Tag me today! I love seeing what y’all are cooking up.
Mention @simply.siobhan or tag #MimosasAndMotherhood!