Easy Peasy Bacon Tater Tot Casserole is a quick and easy family dinner, and is truly the BEST Tater Tot Casserole recipe around! Layers of amazing flavor combine for a fast (and kid-approved) meal any night of the week. This easy casserole recipe will quickly become a family favorite!
As a mom to two toddlers, easy dinners are my favorite 🙂 As a mom who also juggles two jobs, I’m also all about fast and easy when it comes to dinner during the week!
Confession time: before making this tater tot casserole for our family, I had NEVER had it before! I know, that sounds totally crazy, but somehow I went my entire childhood and adult like without having this yummy, cheesy, potato-y dish. But y’all: it was worth the wait!
One of the things I love most about this easy tater tot casserole recipe is that it takes only a handful of ingredients and most can be found in my pantry or fridge regularly. That means I don’t have to run to the store to snag supplies at the last minute!
If you’re short on time, this simple Bacon Tater Tot Casserole can easily be made ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen for later. This recipe can also be divided into two smaller 8×8 pans if you don’t need an entire casserole dish. Cook one and freeze the other to pop in the oven another day!
What Ingredients Are In a Tater Tot Casserole
Easy Peasy Bacon Tater Tot Casserole is going to quickly become a staple in your family dinner rotation. If you’ve never had tater tot casserole before, it’s exactly what it sounds like: a casserole dish filled with tater tots, mixed with a few other ingredients of your choosing.
For this recipe, I start with lean ground beef and brown it nicely before adding in diced onion. garlic and seasonings. Our family loves bacon, which is why it’s part of this recipe. If you’re not a fan, leave it out! I combine the meat, cheese and seasoning with frozen tater tots, and voila!
You can easily add other ingredients too! Want something a little more creamy? Add a can of cream of chicken (or mushroom) soup. Want more veggies? Green beans, tomatoes, peppers and mushrooms go great in this, too!
It’s an incredibly easy and budget friendly meal, and I’m happy to report is 100% toddler and hubby approved (as they both practically licked their plates).
What Supplies You Need To Make Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
I recommend you make this bacon cheeseburger tater tot casserole in at least a 2-inch deep 8 or 9 inch baking dish. To help make clean up a breeze, be sure you spray your baking dish with a good quality non-stick cooking spray before you start scooping the ingredients into it.
Tater tot casserole is also a super easy family dinner that is incredibly easy to change up. The frozen potatoes make an easy base that goes with a ton of different ingredients. I’ve also heard from friends with older kids that it’s an easy dish to hide extra veggies in for picky eaters 😉
Related: Southwestern Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 diced yellow or white onion
- 1 16 oz container of light sour cream
- 1 10 oz can of cream of chicken or mushroom soup
- 32 oz package of frozen tater tots
- 2 cups shredded cheese (we used mild cheddar)
- 1 cup chopped cooked bacon
- 1 cup cooked chopped spinach
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning
- 1 packet dry Ranch dressing mix
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown the ground beef/turkey, adding the garlic powder, creole seasoning and onions to the pan while cooking. Drain the fat and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the soup, sour cream, ranch seasoning packet, cooked spinach, 1 cup of shredded cheese and bacon. Add the cooked meat and onions to the sour cream mixture.
- Fold in the frozen tater tots, being sure to thoroughly mix to make sure the tater tots are covered.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 casserole dish and top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Cook for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove the foil and cook for another 5 minutes to be sure the cheese on top is melty.
- Easy Peasy Bacon Tater Tot Casserole is best enjoyed hot! (Note: If you’re serving to little ones be sure you let cool after scooping out, as the sour cream gets very hot and bubbly.
Feel free to substitute casserole ingredients! If your family is vegetarian, try adding extra veggies. If you love extra meat, this casserole is great with crumbling ground beef, chopped chicken and shredded pork as well.
The inside can be surprisingly hot when it comes out of the oven, so remember to let it cool after scooping, especially if you're serving to kids.
This bacon tater tot casserole goes great with a side of ranch, ketchup or sour cream!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 520Total Fat: 33gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 1280mgCarbohydrates: 34gProtein: 21g
Easy Peasy Bacon Tater Tot Casserole is best enjoyed hot! (Note: If you’re serving to little ones be sure you let cool after scooping out, as the sour cream gets very hot and bubbly.
Tried this recipe? Tag me today! I love seeing what y’all are cooking up.
Mention @simply.siobhan or tag #MimosasAndMotherhood!