Japanese Cucumber Salad is a crunchy, sweet and tangy salad requiring only a few ingredients, making it perfect for a quick appetizer or side dish!
Japanese Cucumber Salad is a quick and easy appetizer for any Japanese inspired meal, or also great as a healthy and light snack on its own.
Also known as “Sunomono,” Japanese Cucumber Salad is a refreshing, light and delicious addition to your homemade takeout nights.
It’s perfect as a small summer salad or as an added side dish to any meal. This dish is also super easy to make! You don’t need anything special to make it (just basic cutting skills) and with only a handful of ingredients, it’s quick and simple to create, too.
With thinly sliced cucumber marinated in a simple dressing, this Japanese Cucumber Salad is a great base for adding other items. This recipe is more of the super simple traditional version, but feel free to experiment with adding seaweed, seafood (like shrimp or crab), or other marinated veggies.
While Japanese Cucumber Salad is usually made with Japanese cucumbers, I choose to make this with easy to find English cucumbers I can easily grab at my local grocery store.
This dish is refreshing, light, sweet and tangy at the same time! The best part? It takes practically zero time to make!
Note: Some links may be affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you use my links to purchase, at no extra added cost to you! I only recommend products that I personally love and believe in. Full disclaimer here.
Japanese Cucumber Salad
- 2 cucumbers (Note: 2 cucumbers makes plenty for 2 adults)
- 1 lime, quartered
- 8 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 green onions
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Peel cucumbers, then halve lengthwise. Scoop out seeds with a spoon and discard.
- Slice remaining cucumber flesh into thin half-moons.
- Trim and thinly slice the green onions, keeping greens and whites separate.
- In a medium bowl, toss together cucumber, scallion whites, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, and a large pinch of salt and pepper. (Tip: save the scallion greens for the Sweet & Spicy Korean BBQ Wings!)
- Squeeze a little lime juice to taste on the mixed salad.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.
- Two cucumbers are enough for two adults to enjoy this Japanese cucumber salad as an appetizer. If you want to make extra, keep in mind that once tossed in the vinegar, the cucumbers will begin to absorb the liquid and the remaining leftovers are really only good for 1-2 days in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 153Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 300mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g
All nutritional information for recipes is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The information comes from online calculators and any information provided should be used only as a general guideline.
Tried this recipe? Tag me today! I love seeing what y’all are cooking up.
Mention @simply.siobhan or tag #MimosasAndMotherhood!