Harissa Sweet Potato Tacos
It’s Taco Tuesday! Harissa Sweet Potato Tacos are a fun, creative addition to make for your family dinner tonight. With oven roasted sweet potatoes and a tangy, delicious sauce, you’ll love how this isn’t your typical taco recipe.
Our family loves a good taco recipe, especially if it’s a little unique. These Harissa Sweet Potato Tacos have become a go to in our home over the past year, and I think you’ll see why: not only are they super easy to throw together even on the busiest of nights, they’re also made up of items our family usually has in the refrigerator already!
I love the bold flavor of the harissa seasoning too. It’s not your typical taco recipe, but it’s always a crowd pleaser! Our family also really loves garlic, but it’s easy enough to cut the amount in the recipe without sacrificing the flavor if you’re not as big of a fan.
We like to make extras of these Harissa Sweet Potato Tacos since it goes quickly. The below recipe feeds 4 adults with leftovers to spare!
Note: Some links may be affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you use my links to purchase, at no extra added cost to you! I only recommend products that I personally love and believe in. Full disclaimer here.
Easy Vegetarian Sweet Potato Tacos
Spiced, roasted sweet potato slices are combined with cucumbers, avocado and a yummy tangy sauce for the perfect vegetarian dish. The bold flavors are perfect for Meatless Monday, or any day of the week.
Our recipe calls for flour tortillas, but you can use corn tortillas or whole grain tortillas if you prefer. Whichever you choose, these vegetarian tacos turn out fantastic every time. While this recipe has some strong flavors, it’s not overly spicy, which means this is also a kid-friendly meal.
Ingredients Needed for Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos
While this recipe is unique, it doesn’t require a ton of complicated ingredients. To make this recipe, you’ll need the following items which you should be able to find at most grocery stores:
- Medium Sweet Potatoes
- Garlic (I prefer fresh garlic cloves, but you can also use garlic powder)
- Dill (either fresh or dried)
- Mayonnaise (you can also substitute vegan mayo if you would like this to be a vegan recipe)
- Harissa Powder (found in the spice aisle- if you can’t find it you can substitute chili powder)
- White Wine Vinegar
- Flour Tortillas (soft taco size is perfect)
- Olive Oil
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes
The key to this healthy dinner is the roasted sweet potato slices that are crispy and delicious on the outside while also being soft and sweet on the inside.
Adjust your oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Wash and dry the sweet potatoes well. Slice them into ¼-inch-thick rounds and toss with a drizzle of olive oil, 1 Tablespoon of harissa powder seasoning, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Spread evenly on a large baking sheet or cookie sheet on top of a sheet of parchment paper. Roast in the oven until tender (usually about 20 minutes), flipping halfway through.
If you would prefer, you can also cube your sweet potatoes instead before roasting. It’s totally up to personal preference.
How to Make Harissa Sweet Potato Tacos
Once you’ve prepped the sweet potatoes and placed them in the oven to roast, you can go ahead and start on the other parts of this recipe to help save time.
Mince or grate the garlic (I use a garlic press to make it a million times easier to prep garlic in our home). Halve cucumbers lengthwise, then slice into thin half-moons. Halve, pit and peel the avocado, then thinly slice.
In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, half of the garlic, and 1 Tablespoon of harissa seasoning. Give the mixture a taste and add more garlic and harissa powder if desired. Keep in mind that harissa powder can quickly become spicy if you use too much, so build it up the amount you use slowly. Season with salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl toss the cucumber, dill, vinegar, a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper to make the cucumber salad.
When the sweet potatoes are almost done (after 18-20 minutes of roasting), put your flour tortillas in the oven too. Toast until warmed through but not crispy, about 2-3 minutes. If you need to, store the tortillas with a damp paper towel wrapped in plastic wrap or tin foil until ready to use.
Now it’s time to assemble your sweet potato tacos! Spread the harissa mayo inside of each tortilla, and then fill with sweet potatoes, avocado and a small amount of cucumber salad.
Top with pickled red onion, jalapeños, chopped cilantro or your personal favorite choice of toppings.
Ideas to Customize these Tacos
While this recipe is delicious the way it is, this sweet potato taco recipe can also easily be customized to your personal preferences.
- Drained black beans are an easy addition and taste great mixed in with the rest of the ingredients.
- No sweet potatoes? Try substituting cauliflower for cauliflower tacos!
- A splash of lemon juice or fresh lime juice adds a kick.
- Instead of mayonnaise, you can try greek yogurt or even sour cream.
- Chopped red cabbage can be used to make a delicious crunchy slaw that goes great with a variety of toppings.
- Sprinkle a little cotija cheese or pico de gallo, or combine the sour cream and a little lime juice to make a lime crema to use instead of the mayo mixture.
- Experiment with different seasonal produce or your favorite toppings.
More Quick & Easy Dinner Ideas:
Air Fryer Whole Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potato, Bacon & Kale Soup
Harissa Sweet Potato Tacos
Harissa Sweet Potato Tacos are tangy, savory and the perfect dish to change up your normal Taco Tuesday.
- 4 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Cucumbers
- 1 Avocado
- ½ Ounce of Dill (either fresh or dried)
- ¾ cup Mayonnaise
- 4 Tablespoons Harissa Powder (found in the spice aisle)
- 4 Tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- 8 Flour Tortillas (soft taco size is perfect)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Wash and dry all produce. Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Slice sweet potatoes into ¼-inch-thick rounds. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil, 1 Tablespoon of harissa powder seasoning, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast in oven until tender, about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Mince or grate the garlic (I use a garlic press to make it a million times easier to prep garlic in our home). Halve cucumbers lengthwise, then slice into thin half-moons. Halve, pit, and peel avocado, then thinly slice.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, half of the garlic, and 1 Tablespoon of harissa seasoning. Give the mixture a taste and add more garlic and harissa powder if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, toss the cucumber, dill, vinegar, a drizzle of olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- When the sweet potatoes are almost done (after 18-20 minutes of roasting), put flour tortillas in oven. Toast until warmed through but not crispy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Spread harissa mayo inside of each tortilla, and then fill with sweet potatoes, avocado, and a small amount of cucumber salad.
- Top with pickled red onions, jalapeños, cilantro or your personal favorite taco additions.
Harissa seasoning is spicy, but doesn't taste that way at first! Add it slowly to your ingredients, and be sure to taste it as you go!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 tacos
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 540
Roasted Harissa Sweet Potato Tacos are an Easy Dinner
All hail the taco! These Harissa Sweet Potato Tacos are perfect for your next Taco Tuesday. Be sure to let me know what you think of this yummy recipe too!
This sweet potato tacos recipe has become one of our family’s favorite meals, and are always a huge hit when we make them. I hope your family loves it too!