This super simple three cheese slow cooker shrimp and grits is not only incredibly easy, but it’s also a lightened up version of the traditional dish so you don’t feel guilty getting seconds (or thirds).
There’s just something about an EASY meal, especially when it comes to comfort food. Warm, cheesy, full-of-flavor grits really hit the spot on those chilly mornings!
While grits remain simple and easy to whip up on the stovetop, as a mom I’ve realized just how easy it is to get distracted by my boys and end up completely ruining even the easiest of meals. I’ve burnt more dishes than I can count in the last year!
That’s one of the things I love about a good crockpot recipe: they’re practically goof-proof! Wondering how to make shrimp and grits in a crockpot? This Super Simple Slow Cooker Shrimp and Grits recipe is not only incredibly simple to prepare, but it also comes out perfect every single time (no matter how crazy the kids get).
If you’ve never had shrimp and grits, you’ve been missing out. I love rich, cheesy grits, but I don’t think I’m alone in knowing these days lightening up some of my favorite recipes is a smart move.
One of the best things about this crockpot shrimp and grits recipe is that it allows you to substitute healthier choices without having to sacrifice the flavor.
Note: Some links may be affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you use my links to purchase, at no extra added cost to you! I only recommend products that I personally love and believe in. Full disclaimer here.
What are Grits?
Known as a quintessential dish in Southern cuisine, grits have gone from a humble breakfast or side dish to the brunch menu mainstay at many restaurants.
Grits are made from a less sweet, starchy variety of corn. Today, most grits are made with either stone-ground corn or hominy and boiled. Incredibly versatile food, can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and can be made as simply or elaborately as you want.
While quick and easy to whip up on the stovetop if you choose to use quick cook grits from your local grocery store, I also personally love to make grits in my slow cooker. As a mom I love that I honestly just don’t have to pay attention to them while they cook (no shame)! Plus, in less than 4 hours of cooking time you’ll have creamy, cheesy grits and delicious shrimp, ready to feast on.
Don’t have a slow cooker or crock pot? You can easily snag one on Amazon with free Prime shipping! (Get 30 days free here) We actually have three crockpots in our house, which I know sounds like overkill, but honestly it comes in SO handy when we want to make more than one dish!
They’re perfect for meal prepping for the week, or for when you’re hosting a large group at your place. If you don’t have one, check out these options below!
This slow cooker shrimp and grits recipe is always a crowd pleaser, and is so easy to customize. I’ve even made it before with vegan cheese and almond milk for non-dairy friends, and it comes out just as amazing!
You can also substitute cooked shrimp for the raw shrimp that cook in the crockpot with the grits. Just mix the cooked shrimp in at the very end before serving!
If you have no clue what shrimp and grits is, be sure to check out this amazing recipe from Bobby Flay. Love easy breakfast recipes? Be sure to also check out Easy Instant Pot Egg Bites (opens in a new tab).
How to Make Shrimp and Grits With a Crock Pot or Slow Cooker
This creamy shrimp and grits recipe is so simple to throw together! With only about 10 minutes of prep time, the slow cooker does all the heavy lifting. All you need are a few ingredients to get started!
Ingredients I recommend for shrimp and grits:
- Chicken Broth or Stock (you can also use vegetable broth)
- Quick Cooking Grits (also known as Instant Grits or quick stone-ground grits)
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (or any creole seasoning)
- Light Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Light Cream Cheese
- Raw Shrimp (you can purchase frozen ones!)
- Salt & Black Pepper to Taste
- Optional: unsalted butter
- Optional for garnish: shredded cheese, green onions, chopped, cooked bacon, hot sauce, lemon juice
Want even more inspiration? You can truly add nearly anything to grits! It’s all about personal preference and taste. Parmesan cheese, jalapeno pepper, green pepper and other veggies are good options too. Like spicy shrimp? Add more hot sauce! Craving cheese grits? More cheese, of course.
Steps for Making Shrimp & Grits
You’re going to fall in love with how EASY this recipe truly is for this traditional southern dish. Start by pouring the chicken broth into the slow cooker and mixing in the grits. Then, add all of the other ingredients except for the shrimp and green onions, and cook on low for three hours.
Open up your slow cooker and add the raw shrimp, then cook for an additional half an hour. Served hot, garnished with cheese, bacon, green onions or whatever you like on top of the grits!
It’s important to be aware that the shrimp are added towards the end of the recipe and cook fast, so be sure not to over-cook them.
Shrimp & Grits Tips
This crockpot shrimp and grits recipe is my favorite way to make grits for a crowd, and is one of my most loved Southern recipes! If you want to use this recipe for a shrimp and grits bar, cook the shrimp separately and do NOT add to the crockpot. Instead, keep them in a bowl where your guests can serve themselves.
Wondering what kind of grits to use? I’ve found that the best grits for this slow cooker shrimp and grits recipe are stone ground grits, specifically Instant Grits (which can also be found under “Quick Grits” in many places too). Using these results in delicious, creamy grits every time!
If you like more kick to your grits and want them to taste more like New Orleans grits, add up to 2 tablespoons of creole seasoning. You can also add as much cheese as you would like to these shrimp and grits, but keep in mind that more cheese equals more calories and fat! One of the best parts about this recipe in my opinion is that it tastes super rich and creamy without having to add a ton of extra cheese.
If you want to cut a little bit of the calories, you can also cook and chop turkey bacon instead of real bacon. Also, if you don’t have chicken stock on hand, you can absolutely make this slow cooker shrimp and grits recipe with 6 cups water instead of broth! You will need to add extra seasonings to taste.
If you love this recipe, please take a moment and leave a star rating and review, to help others find and discover it too =)
- 6 Cups of Chicken Broth or Stock
- 1 ½ Cups Quick Cooking Grits
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, or any creole seasoning
- 1 Cup Light Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Ounces Light Cream Cheese
- 1 Pound Raw Shrimp
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Shredded cheese, green onions, and/or chopped, cooked bacon, optional for garnish
- Pour chicken broth into the slow cooker and mix in the grits.
- Add in all other ingredients except for the shrimp and green onions, and cook on low for three hours.
- Open up your slow cooker and add in the raw shrimp. If your grits have absorbed all of the liquid, feel free to add some more broth or a little bit of milk or water.
- Close the lid and cook for an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Garnish with extra cheese, bacon and green onions if desired!
- This crockpot shrimp and grits recipe is my favorite way to make grits for a crowd! If you want to use this recipe for a shrimp and grits bar, cook the shrimp separately and do NOT add to the crockpot. Instead, keep them in a bowl where your guests can serve themselves.
- If you like more kick to your grits, add up to 2 tablespoons of creole seasoning.
- You can also add as much cheese as you would like to these shrimp and grits, but keep in mind that more cheese equals more calories and fat! One of the best parts about this recipe in my opinion is that it tastes super rich and creamy without having to add a ton of extra cheese.
- If you want to cut a little bit of the calories, you can also cook and chop turkey bacon instead of real bacon.
- If you don't have chicken stock on hand, you can absolutely make this slow cooker shrimp and grits recipe with water! You will need to add extra seasonings to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 559Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 239mgSodium: 4073mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 42g
All nutritional information for recipes is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. The information comes from online calculators and any information provided should be used only as a general guideline.
Quick & Easy Slow Cooker Grits
I hope you loved this slow cooker shrimp and grits recipe! Feel free to mix it up and try different items added in. This recipe also works great as a base for a shrimp & grits bar! Shrimp and Grits also make a yummy easy dinner, too.
If you’re looking for another easy breakfast option, my Artichoke & Spinach Breakfast Casserole is such a crowd pleaser too!
I hope you enjoy this Super Simple Slow Cooker Shrimp and Grits. Be sure to give it a try on your next lazy Sunday!
Tried this recipe? Tag me today! I love seeing what y’all are cooking up.
Mention @simply.siobhan or tag #MimosasAndMotherhood!