Your kids growing up is something every parent both looks forward to, and sometimes also dreads. Music can help, and one of these songs about kids growing up might be just what you’re looking for.
Growing up affects each of us differently, no matter the age of your child. The dreams, hopes and even fears for their futures are universal for many of us.
My husband is a music producer, and in our family we use music to help us work through our emotions. As a mom of three, I feel like I’m juggling so many emotions every day about my children growing up. Every day I wake up and they’re changing before my eyes.
Songs can sometimes capture what we’re feeling in a way nothing else can. I hope this collection of 45 songs about kids growing up help you as you navigate all of the transition and change, too.
Note: Some links may be affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you use my links to purchase, at no extra added cost to you! I only recommend products that I personally love and believe in. Full disclaimer here.
The Best Songs About Kids Growing Up
Included on this list of songs about growing up are some of my own personal favorites, as well as special songs many people have loved over the years. This list includes pop music, hip-hop, classic rock, alternative, country songs and more.
The songs on this list include odes to your baby girl or little boy, walks down memory lane, best friends, reflections on both good times and bad, upbeat songs, heartfelt lyrics and so many moments in between.
If you’re unfamiliar with any of these songs, I’ve also included a link to the music video for each of these, too.
- “Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel)” by Billy Joel
- “Used to be Young” by Miley Cyrus
- “My Hometown” By Bruce Springsteen
- “Lost in My Mind” by The Head and the Heart
- “Cat’s In The Cradle” By Harry Chapin
- “Kids” by MGMT
- “In My Life” by The Beatles
- “Never Grow Up” By Taylor Swift
- “There Goes My Life” by Kenny Chesney
- “Changes” by David Bowie
- “Castle On The Hill” By Ed Sheeran
- “Young” by Kenny Chesney
- “The Best Day” by George Strait
- “Forever Young” By Bob Dylan
- “Gracie” by Ben Folds
- “Teenagers” By My Chemical Romance
- “Vienna” by Billy Joel
- “7 Years” By Lukas Graham
- “Boy” by Lee Brice
- “Hold You Down” By Childish Gambino
- “Seasons (Waiting on You)” by Future Islands
- “Fifteen” By Taylor Swift
- “In My Daughter’s Eyes” by Martina McBride
- “Here’s To Never Growing Up” By Avril Lavigne
- “He Gets That from Me” by Reba McEntire
- “Coat Of Many Colors” By Dolly Parton
- “My Wish” by Rascal Flatts
- “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac
- “Blessed” by Elton John
- “The Circle Game” By Joni Mitchell
- “My Little Girl” by Tim McGraw
- “The Suburbs” by Arcade Fire
- “Sun Goes Down” By Lil Nas X
- “Time” by Pink Floyd
- “Letter To Me” By Brad Paisley
- “Don’t You Worry Child” by Swedish House Mafia ft. John Martin
- “Fade Away” By Oasis
- “Ghost” by Kid Cudi
- “Dammit” by Blink-182
- “Then They Do” by Trace Adkins
- “As Good As I Once Was” by Toby Keith
- “Growing Up” by Thomas Rhett
- “Ready, Set, Don’t Go” by Billy Ray Cyrus & Miley Cyrus
- “Isn’t She Lovely” by Stevie Wonder
- “Beautiful Boy” by John Lennon
You Might Also Enjoy These Articles:
Final Thoughts on This Collection of Songs About Kids Growing Up
Our kids grow up so fast, and whether you’re navigating the craziness of the baby and toddler stage, or facing the first steps in your older child moving out and starting their own life after high school and graduation ceremonies, this time can be bittersweet. Some of the most perfect songs for you might not even be on this list!
Were any of your favorite songs included? Let me know in the comments which ones I’m missing!
If you enjoyed this article, use the image below to pin it to your Pinterest board to make it easy to find next time!