Looking for a fun and creative way to welcome back your Elf on the Shelf this holiday season? Look no further than our free printable Elf arrival and welcome back letters (4 designs to choose from)!
It’s that time of the year for a very popular Christmas tradition for families with little ones: Elf on the Shelf!
Welcoming a mischievous Elf to your home is such a fun family tradition for homes with young children! One of the cutest ways to welcome them back (or say hi for the very first time) is with a cute letter.
I had told myself I would never be an “Elf mom,” but after receiving two as a gift for my boys one Christmas, I couldn’t resist. Their faces lit up and they were so excited to have a little magic in our home!
To help your family with that same magical feeling, I’ve created four different free printable letters for this holiday season, with options for both individual elves and families that have multiple!
- Elf on the Shelf Arrival Letter: This letter is perfect for introducing your Elf to your children and letting them know that their Elf has arrived. You can find this printable in PDF or image format, and it’s also completely free to download.
- Elf Welcome Back Letter: This Elf on the Shelf return letter is perfect for welcoming your Elf back to your home and letting your children know that their Elf is on their way.
These printable letters are the perfect way to kick off the Elf on the Shelf tradition (or continue it!) and get your family excited for all the fun to come.
Each letter is a great way to let your kids know that their Elf ha arrived and get them excited for all the mischief and magic he or she will bring. With cute illustrations and a friendly message, it’s the perfect way to start the holiday season off right.
Scroll down to snag our free Elf welcome back letters and Elf on the Shelf arrival letters today and start spreading some holiday cheer!
Note: Some links may be affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you use my links to purchase, at no extra added cost to you! I only recommend products that I personally love and believe in. Full disclaimer here.
Understanding the Elf on the Shelf Tradition
One tradition that has gained popularity in recent years is the Elf on the Shelf. This beloved tradition involves a special elf sent from the North Pole to watch over our families and report back to Santa each night.
The Elf on the Shelf is more than just a cute decoration for our home. It’s a fun way to encourage good behavior and create lasting memories with our children. The tradition is all about bringing a little more magic and wonder to the holiday season.
To fully embrace the Elf on the Shelf tradition, it’s important to understand the rules. The elf should be given a name and a special spot in our homes where it can watch over your family. Each night, the elf will fly back to the North Pole to report good deeds to Santa, and return to a new spot in your home the next morning.
It’s important to remember that the elf is always watching, so we need to be on our best behavior. The elf can’t speak or move while we’re awake, but it’s always watching and listening. It’s important to follow the Elf on the Shelf rules and be kind, helpful and respectful.
The elves return home with Santa on Christmas Eve (and you can use a Free Printable Elf Goodbye Letters from your Elf on the Shelf).
Creating Your Elf’s Identity
When it comes to your Elf on the Shelf, giving them a unique identity is key to making the experience more magical. Here are a few tips on how to create your elf’s identity.
Choosing the Perfect Name
The first step in creating your elf’s identity is choosing the perfect name. You want a name that is fun, whimsical, and fits your elf’s personality.
Some popular Elf names include Jingle, Snowflake, Twinkle, Elfie, Sparkle, and Buddy. Don’t be afraid to get creative as you help your children come up with their unique Elf’s name!
Preparing for Your Elf’s Arrival
Setting Up the Welcome Scene
We are so excited to welcome back our Elf on the Shelf! My kids can’t wait for their elf’s return each year, and it’s become so fun to make a big deal around it for them. It’s become such a fun tradition.
To make sure our elf feels right at home, we like to set up a special welcome scene for their arrival. Here are some tips on how to create a fun and festive scene for your elf:
- Start with a festive backdrop: Hang up some Christmas lights or a garland to create a festive backdrop for your elf’s arrival. You can even set up a small Christmas tree or other decorations to make the scene even more special.
- Add some props: Set up some small props to make the scene more interactive. You can use mini presents, a small toy sleigh, a little door set like this or even some fake snow to create a winter wonderland.
- Include a welcome letter: To make your elf feel extra special, consider including a welcome letter or free printable arrival letter. You can find our free printable elf on the shelf arrival letters if you scroll down, or create your own personalized letter. This is a great way to set the tone for your elf’s stay and let them know how excited you are to have them back.
- Don’t forget about Santa Claus: Since the elf is Santa’s special helper, it’s always fun to include a little nod to Santa in the welcome scene. You can leave out some cookies and milk, or even a note for Santa thanking him for sending the elf to your home.
- Decide when they arrive: Though many families choose for their elves to come back December 1st, the choice is up to you!
Remember to have fun and get creative – your elf is sure to appreciate the effort you put in to make their arrival special!
Elf on the Shelf Ideas and Activities
Fun and Easy Ideas
The mischievous little elf loves to play! Coming up with new and exciting ideas for your Elf on the Shelf can be challenging. Here are a few fun and easy ideas to help you get started.
- Create a snowball fight scene using cotton balls and paper cutouts of your family members.
- Have your Elf leave a note asking your kids to make a fort out of blankets and pillows.
- Set up a miniature hot cocoa stand using a small table, cups, and hot cocoa mix.
- Have your Elf leave a note asking your kids to write a letter to Santa and leave it out for him to pick up.
Baking and Treat Ideas
Baking is a great way to get your kids involved in the Elf on the Shelf fun. Here are some baking and treat ideas to try:
- Bake and decorate Elf on the Shelf sugar cookies.
- Make Elf on the Shelf hot cocoa bombs.
- Create a gingerbread house and have your Elf leave a note asking your kids to decorate it.
Game and Prop Ideas
Games and props can add a new level of excitement to your Elf on the Shelf adventures. Here are some ideas to try:
- Set up an Elf on the Shelf tic-tac-toe board using paper and mini marshmallows.
- Create an Elf on the Shelf bingo game or matching game.
- Make a kissing booth printable prop and have your Elf leave a note asking your kids to take pictures with it.
- Set up a pizza shop printable or a cookie shop printable prop and have your Elf leave a note asking your kids to play along.
- Use elf-sized letter boards for a simple scene change.
We hope these ideas have inspired you to create some fun and memorable Elf on the Shelf adventures this year. You can pair them with elf jokes, puns and riddles too.
Free Printable Elf Welcome Back Letter
We love for free printables! Bring the holiday magic to life this Christmas season with a printable Elf on the Shelf welcome letter PDF you can personalize with this ready to print file!
This is a digital design- no physical product is sent to you. You will receive your elf on the shelf arrival letter printables in a READY-TO-PRINT DIGITAL file in a PDF format that you can print at home or in any local or online print shop.
This file contains two different kinds of letters:
- Elf on the Shelf Arrival Letter: This letter is perfect for introducing your Elf to your children and letting them know that their Elf has arrived.
- Elf Welcome Back Letter: This letter is perfect for welcoming your Elf back to your home and letting your children know that their Elf is on their way.
I recommend printing these elf arrival letters on plain white paper, but you can also use construction paper, white card stock or another type of thick paper. You can print this file out again and again for different letters too!
This free printable Elf on the Shelf arrival letter template is free for you to use, but ONLY for personal use. Enter your information below to gain access to the free download, and the printable PDF file with the Elf welcome back letter printable will be sent to your email address immediately for instant download.
More Christmas Printables for Kids
Your children might also love these Christmas time crafts and printables:
Enjoy These Free Printable Elf on the Shelf Letter Templates
Download our free Elf welcome back letters and Elf on the Shelf arrival letters today and start spreading some holiday cheer with this fun Christmas tradition.
I hope these arrival and welcome back letters help your family have some extra fun this holiday season. This sweet Christmas tradition is one the whole family can take part in! These fun and festive printables are sure to become a beloved part of your family’s holiday traditions for years to come.
I hope you love this shelf introduction letter! What are you favorite elf on the shelf arrival ideas to get in the Christmas spirit?
If you use one of these free printable letters I would love to see! Tag me on Instagram or TikTok @simply.siobhan.
Merry Christmas, from my family to yours!
The holidays will be over in the blink of an eye, so use the image below to PIN this post to easily find it when you need it!